No subject

Thu May 17 19:07:19 UTC 2012

though the GUI is rather different (probably lots of UX experts and<br>
focus groups).<br>
The interesting thing here is that SageTV was very open for a<br>
commercial product. =A0They took a stand against DRM and chose not to<br>
license DRM (for cable card). =A0They had a thriving 3rd party plugin<br>
ecosystem. =A0I wonder how much of that openness has been retained. =A0For<=
br>
example, SageTV did not ship with commercial flagging / skipping, but<br>
one of the most popular plugins was for commercial skipping. =A0There<br>
are TV/Movie meta-data scraping (BMT) &amp; fan-art plugins (pheonix),<br>
You could re-skin the entire UI if you wanted to (similar to<br>
MythTV themes).<br>
It would be really interesting to know how Google Fiber TV is<br>
&quot;broadcast&quot;, and if it is just IP multicast. =A0Given what I know=
 about<br>
SageTV, I suspect that it is. =A0If so, MythTV could fit right in.<br>
But, depending on how much openness was stripped SageTV, GoogleFiber<br>
iv>As much as many people like to bash google for their=A0apparent=A0goal t=
o know you better than you know yourself, I do have to say that they have b=
een one of the most outspoken (and actually listened to) corporations who b=
elieve in allowing users to use media/data without restrictions. =A0When ce=
llphone vendors all wanted to restrict the user, Google has pushed for elim=
inating as many of those restrictions as possible. =A0When it seemed that e=
very major music player was trying to tie you to their proprietary software=
 and store to buy music, Google went the other way.</div>

e limits of what they are comfortable with to offer users as much=A0flexibi=
lity=A0as possible with this system. =A0Unfortunately I don&#39;t believe t=
hat the networks are going to budge an inch and either Google will cave and=
 release something too restrictive, or they will eventually decide that thi=
s was an expensive experiment and scrap the whole thing.</div>

--bcaec5040a24eb940304c5d36a44--