[mythtv-users] Lossless-cut Not Ubuntu

Jason But jbut at swin.edu.au
Fri Nov 2 03:00:07 UTC 2012

On 11/02/12 13:07, John Drescher wrote:
>> Now to cut up some recordings and see what happens.
>
> Please report back. Being on Gentoo I am interested in that..
>
> John

As an aside, I'm currently using mythnuv2mkv
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythnuv2mkv) to do my cutting. With regards to
lossless_cut, I see mention that cuts "should" be made on key-frames, what
happens if they are not?

I have made a number of recordings which I've cut and compressed, selecting
good frames to end/start cuts on is difficult and you often get artifacts of
commercials in the final cut. Alternatively, sometimes the nearest key-frame
means that audio and images are cut from the final copy.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that it would be nice to be able to do
frame-accurate cutting (or at least near). If we are re-encoding to h264
anyway, is there any reason you aren't decoding all frames and re-encoding them?

THanks

Jason