[mythtv-users] Suspend to RAM

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Nov 2 04:14:37 UTC 2012

> But I have an other problem, before I suspend the machine I use to switch
> of the TV with a irsend command. But when I return from suspend mode the TV
> is off.
>
> I don't know how to manage this, do I need a special script to run before
> return from suspend? how could I check if the TV is off?

I would use an IRSEND to power the tv back on when the system resumes from
suspend (eg
http://askubuntu.com/questions/141702/how-to-run-a-script-after-the-system-resumes-from-hibernate-suspent-to-disk
)

 To determine if the TV is already on, there are several approaches you
might take:
1. do an edid query (should only work if the tv is on)
2. use a serial cable, if your tv has a db9, and see if you get a response
from the set.
3. ping the tv (assuming it has network connectivity)

I have also read that you could wire the tv's usb +5v and GND to a serial
port's CTS and GND and sense the CTS status of the port using a python or C
program... but that's far more complicated.