[mythtv-users] hdmi audio nvidia gt220 lucid 0.25

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Nov 2 08:07:15 UTC 2012

On 2 Nov 2012, at 08:59, Nick Rout wrote:

> I have an nvidia gt220 card in a lucid machine running 0.25 fixes via mythtv repos.
>
> I can't get hdmi audio to work.
>
> The following data points seem relevant:
>
> kernel 2.6.32-44-generic
> cat /proc/asound/version - 1.0.21 (suspect a problem here)

Yes, you need 1.0.24 (maybe .23) at least

There are ppa's around for this.

> ls /proc/asound shows an ICH card and an NVidia card.
> ls /proc/asound/NVidia
>
>       codec#0  codec#1  codec#2  codec#3  id  oss_mixer  (NOTE:  no pcm devices)
>
> myth scan shows only ICH devices (as well as the usual null and /dev/dsp stuff)
>
> nvidia drivers are 195.36.24

You may need newer nvidia drivers too, my gt220 under lucid certainly had much newer drivers but this was all a while ago.

> There are no /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc files
>
> This machine is an older P4 SFF machine that was last used pre the 22/2/2011 earthquake, when it was connected to an external usb sound device to a spdif 5.1 sound system. Times have changed, and now I want it to simply connect it to a TV via hdmi for a kids room (no surround sound system). I have updated all the packages after moving mythbuntu-repos to 0.25-fxes, so it is right up to date.
>
> I am thinking the solutions might be any of:
>
> *get a newer nvidia driver from some ppa or other (if so which one)
>
> *get a newer alsa version via some ppa or other (if so which one)
>
> *ditch the current os and install 12.04 (which is probably future proofing as I will want to move to 0.26 and beyond soon anyway, but I'll only do it now if it will fix this right now).

The GT220 HDMI works straight off with 12.04 I have a 12.04 machine with GT220 and HDMI worked straight away with nvidia-current drivers (even the Ubuntu packaged ones).

Andre