[mythtv-users] Sometimes mythfrontend freezes when internal player is put on pause

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 17:31:38 UTC 2012

On Nov 2, 2012 5:24 PM, "Andrey Zhunev" <a-j at a-j.ru> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>   My wife is mostly using MythTV to watch shows / movies in .avi
>   format (not recorded programs). She often puts these movies on
>   pause when she needs to go somewhere or do something away from the
>   TV. So the most common usage scenario is internal player playing
>   back an external (not made by MythTV) files and often put on pause.
>
>   The issue is that sometimes after putting a movie on pause
>   mythfrontend just freezes.  It does not respond to keyboard
>   commands, so resuming or exiting the playback is not possible.
>   The only way out that I found is to kill mythfrontend and restart
>   it (I do it via irexec).
>
>   The freezes do not happen all the time, but maybe in 20-30% of the
>   cases. Sometimes it may happen several times in a row, and sometimes
>   it can pause/unpause just fine 20-30 times without any issues.
>
>   I never experienced such a freeze in LiveTV mode or while watching
>   shows recorded by MythTV (using DVB-S). But we use Myth much more
>   often to watch external files, so I can't say for sure if LiveTV /
>   Recorded Programs are free from this issue.
>

>   The strangest thing is that I see no error messages in mythtv log
>   when a freeze happens. Nothing unusual at all. These are the last
>   messages in the log file  of a frozen mythfrontend process
>   (I used '-v playback' ):
>
> 2012-11-02 20:59:13.853978 I [16602/16602] CoreContext tv_play.cpp:7609
(UpdateOSDSeekMessage) - UpdateOSDSeekMessage(Paused, 0)
> 2012-11-02 20:59:13.854671 I [16602/16602] CoreContext
mythplayer.cpp:3451 (ChangeSpeed) - Player(0): Play speed: rate: 23.976
speed: 0 skip: 0 => new interval 41708
> 2012-11-02 20:59:13.896491 I [16602/16602] CoreContext
videoout_vdpau.cpp:826 (UpdatePauseFrame) - VidOutVDPAU: UpdatePauseFrame()
UULuUUAUUUUUUu

>   I'm running CentOS 6.3 64-bit, an NVidia GT220 video (using VDPAU
>   and NVidia proprietary drivers) and a self-compiled mythtv 0.26 with
>   majority of dependencies installed from atrpms repository.
>
>   I had this behavior in 0.25, too. I was hoping that it's some minor
>   glitch that will be fixed with one of the updates. But since there
>   are no discussions of this issue, I guess it may be exclusive to
>   my setup only. So I would appreciate any hints on how to track it...
>

>   # mythfrontend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : v0.26.0-2-ga49c750
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.26
> Network Protocol : 75
> Library API : 0.26.20120822-1
> QT Version : 4.6.2
> Options compiled in:
>  linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_jack using_oss
>  using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
>  using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_frontend
>  using_iptv using_ivtv using_libcrypto using_libudf using_lirc
>  using_mheg using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
>  using_qtdbus using_v4l2 using_v4l1 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
>  using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
>  using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau
>  using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg using_libass using_libudf
>

> --
> Best regards,
>  Andrey

Might be worth trying -v all, rather than just playback, likely to be
freezing for another reason.

Also, would be interested in your script and lirc entries for getting
irexec working, if you don't mind, I've tried without luck in the past! Off
list is fine, don't want to hijack your thread here.

Cheers

Martin