[mythtv-users] MythMusic - Is there a simple way to just tell it to play an album?

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 20:57:38 UTC 2012


On 02/11/12 19:44, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 02/11/12 17:59, Gordon McCrae wrote:
>> On 02/11/12 17:46, Chris Lewis wrote:
>>
>
>> Once again, not wanting to get into the MythMusic argument.
>>
>
> Do you want your money back :)
>
>> Cheers
>> Gordon
>
> Paul H.
>
Of course I don't, and I've avoided making complaints about your code or 
interface other than to say it's not my taste and see if anyone knows of 
an alternative. In fact I'm sick and tired of hearing people coming out 
with this trite "Do you want your money back" comment whenever someone 
mentions there's something they don't like about a feature within MythTV 
(or other software), it's simply puerile. I've not once in all the 
emails I've sent on the subject complained about your version of 
MythMusic, and in this particular thread I've merely tried to be helpful 
to the person who originally sent the query. If you wish to take any of 
my comments about the old MythMusic interface being easier as a personal 
slight then that's up to you, as I say I've slavishly tried to avoid 
getting involved in the flame wars around MythMusic as I don't believe 
it's helpful.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "buttonlist" search, if that's the 
name you give to the current alpha search order of artists, then I would 
disagree, it's laborious to scroll through if you have a large number of 
entries, so while you may like it I doubt anyone else enjoys have to 
wade through the list looking for entries. You've explained before that 
the current setup is your personal preference, and that's fine, but only 
for you and like-minded folks. For the rest of us it's less than 
optimal, and lacking the requisite coding expertise we don't have much 
option but to put up with your own interface style choices or go find 
another option. If this is another option other than the alpha list I 
mentioned then I'm not familiar with it.

As for your comment that you're open to sensible ideas? How about an 
option that replicates the old MythMusic interface, or at least 
something mostly like it? I'm perfectly serious here, if there was an 
option that could be set so that MythMusic simply listed the directory 
structure and when an element of that structure was "selected" it played 
all music files under than element, that would be perfect. Personally 
I've never had time for playlists, I tried them but never went back to 
them on either MythMusic or my MP3 players or my PC. I have no objection 
to someone else using them if they wish, and applaud anyone who adds the 
functionality to their player as it increases the likelihood that 
"general users" will like their player, however it's not for me, again, 
my choice so I have to live with it. On a similar note I don't like the 
Amarok interface, but find XMMS simple and efficient, perhaps I'm just 
too old fashioned and stuck in my ways, who knows.

I find your predictions about MythTV in general rather disheartening, I 
certainly hope that MythTV continues to be successful and grow/develop 
as I and my family / friends find it to be an excellent media player, so 
hopefully you're wrong there.

Anyway, I've desperately tried to keep out of the flame wars around 
MythMusic, so let's just leave it at that. If I've upset anyone in 
trying to assist the person who originally posted the question then I 
apologize, maybe I'm just cranky because it takes me so long to scroll 
down the list of "Artists" in MythMusic (sorry, couldn't resist than one!).

Cheers
Gordon
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20121102/6ae576e6/attachment.html>


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list