[mythtv-users] MythMusic - Is there a simple way to just tell it to play an album?

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Fri Nov 2 22:07:33 UTC 2012

On 02/11/12 20:57, Gordon McCrae wrote:
> On 02/11/12 19:44, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> On 02/11/12 17:59, Gordon McCrae wrote:
>>> On 02/11/12 17:46, Chris Lewis wrote:
>>>

>>> Once again, not wanting to get into the MythMusic argument.
>>>

>> Do you want your money back :)
>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Gordon
>>
>> Paul H.
>>
> Of course I don't, and I've avoided making complaints about your code
> or interface other than to say it's not my taste and see if anyone
> knows of an alternative. In fact I'm sick and tired of hearing people
> coming out with this trite "Do you want your money back" comment
> whenever someone mentions there's something they don't like about a
> feature within MythTV (or other software), it's simply puerile. I've
> not once in all the emails I've sent on the subject complained about
> your version of MythMusic, and in this particular thread I've merely
> tried to be helpful to the person who originally sent the query. If
> you wish to take any of my comments about the old MythMusic interface
> being easier as a personal slight then that's up to you, as I say I've
> slavishly tried to avoid getting involved in the flame wars around
> MythMusic as I don't believe it's helpful.

I think you missed the smiley :) I didn't take what you said as a
slight.  I'm sorry you got the impression I was in some way attacking
you from my reply I wasn't. Maybe it's my northern sense of humour :)

> I'm not sure what you mean by the "buttonlist" search, if that's the
> name you give to the current alpha search order of artists, then I
> would disagree, it's laborious to scroll through if you have a large
> number of entries, so while you may like it I doubt anyone else enjoys
> have to wade through the list looking for entries. You've explained
> before that the current setup is your personal preference, and that's
> fine, but only for you and like-minded folks. For the rest of us it's
> less than optimal, and lacking the requisite coding expertise we don't
> have much option but to put up with your own interface style choices
> or go find another option. If this is another option other than the
> alpha list I mentioned then I'm not familiar with it.

No, I'm taking about the buttonlist search feature available on all
button lists not just those in MythMusic. When a button list has focus
you can press the SEARCH key binding (Ctrl+S not sure if that is the
default key) or in MythMusic you can press MENU then Search List ... you
can then enter the text you want to search for and move to the
next/previous match. It _is_ easier with a keyboard which is why I said
it's not ideal.

> As for your comment that you're open to sensible ideas? How about an
> option that replicates the old MythMusic interface, or at least
> something mostly like it? I'm perfectly serious here, if there was an
> option that could be set so that MythMusic simply listed the directory
> structure and when an element of that structure was "selected" it
> played all music files under than element, that would be perfect.
> Personally I've never had time for playlists, I tried them but never
> went back to them on either MythMusic or my MP3 players or my PC. I
> have no objection to someone else using them if they wish, and applaud
> anyone who adds the functionality to their player as it increases the
> likelihood that "general users" will like their player, however it's
> not for me, again, my choice so I have to live with it. On a similar
> note I don't like the Amarok interface, but find XMMS simple and
> efficient, perhaps I'm just too old fashioned and stuck in my ways,
> who knows.

Ha Ha. I said sensible idea :) You can browse the directory tree and add
the tracks below the current node/directory to the active playlist, that
was one of the concessions added to keep the peace. Little good it did
me :(. That's something probably only available in 0.26 though.

> I find your predictions about MythTV in general rather disheartening,
> I certainly hope that MythTV continues to be successful and
> grow/develop as I and my family / friends find it to be an excellent
> media player, so hopefully you're wrong there.

Don't get me wrong I'm as sad about what's happening as you. I'm only
repeating what I've heard from elsewhere. Normally after a long freeze
and release you get a spurt of commits that devs have saved up during
the freeze and weren't able to commit but this time its eerily quite.

> Anyway, I've desperately tried to keep out of the flame wars around
> MythMusic, so let's just leave it at that. If I've upset anyone in
> trying to assist the person who originally posted the question then I
> apologize, maybe I'm just cranky because it takes me so long to scroll
> down the list of "Artists" in MythMusic (sorry, couldn't resist than
> one!).
>
> Cheers
> Gordon

Paul H.