[mythtv-users] Reducing resolution/bitrate of recordings?

Lee Maisel maisel at lobo.net
Sat Nov 3 06:28:44 UTC 2012

I'm trying to get some performance gains.   Currently, there are some
artifacts/sound pauses (annoying)  Not surprising when multiple
recordings are going, and they are typically 8GB in size.
I read in the optimization wiki a mention of reducing the recording
sizes, but there was no instruction as how to do so!

I assume that by doing this, I would:

reduce disk usage
decrease network traffic
reduce CPU processing

Setup is as follows:

Mythbuntu Mythtv 0.25 Fe/Be
4GB ram
3TB separate disk for recordings (USB unfortunately, but that's another
story, bios won't see correct drive size if installed as SATA)
3 HD Homerun tuners (giving me 6 inputs)
Nvidia HDMI output for video and audio

I have looked and looked at the settings, and cannot for the life of me
find out where in the heck to change the recording resolution/bitrate etc.

I don't think it's a reception issue (OTA) but it could be...

The occasional video artifacts I can live with, but the audio pauses
here and there are extremely annoying.

Any ideas??  Is the video rate not adjustable from the HD Homeruns?

Thanks!

Lee