[mythtv-users] Reducing resolution/bitrate of recordings?

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sat Nov 3 07:17:23 UTC 2012

On 03.11.2012 08:08, Lee Maisel wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Lee Maisel <maisel at lobo.net
>> <mailto:maisel at lobo.net>> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to get some performance gains. Currently, there are
>> some artifacts/sound pauses (annoying) Not surprising when
>> multiple recordings are going, and they are typically 8GB in size.
>> I read in the optimization wiki a mention of reducing the
>> recording sizes, but there was no instruction as how to do so!

Hmm, if you are regularly recording 6 HD streams to one spindle you
might see benefits from using a real file system like XFS.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XFS_Filesystem

>> 3TB separate disk for recordings (USB unfortunately, but that's
>> another story, bios won't see correct drive size if installed as SATA)

The BIOS only has to see the boot disk, so attaching the media disk via
SATA should still work for you. Depending on the USB this might already
help quite a bit. I'd try this first.

Regards,
Karl