[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu CD would not boot on a X64

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Nov 5 16:41:36 UTC 2012

On 11/04/2012 10:52 PM, R KANNAN wrote:

> I apologize for top posting (gmail is partly to blame) and also not
> using the correct subject line.
>
> Any ideas on why the MBR does not get updated with the Mythbuntu install
> on HP?

With recent Fedora versions, the installer recognizes that the disk is
*already* partitioned with an MBR and does NOT overwrite it with a GPT
scheme. If the disk is blank, then it is GPT partitioned.

I would not be surprised if *buntu's installer does the same thing as it
is logical that it should 'do no harm'.

In which case, I think your response should be to use a livecd/liveusb
such as SysRescue or Rescue is Possible (and you *do* have one of those
handy, right?) and wipe the disk clean. SysRescue includes gparted which
makes things very easy. Either wipe everything, or set up your preferred
partition layout (MBR or GPT as you wish).

Geoff