[mythtv-users] Firewire channel change

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 17:14:28 UTC 2012

On 11/5/12 11:42 AM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Ken Mink <ken.mink at gmail.com
> <mailto:ken.mink at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/5/12 9:29 AM, Greg Woods wrote:
>
>         On Sun, 2012-11-04 at 16:21 -0500, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
>
>             ___________________
>             If you are on Comcast you may have problems tuning the STB
>             with
>             Firewire. I was unable to get channel changing through
>             firewire to work
>

>         I doubt that it matters who the cable company is. What matters
>         is what
>         type of set top box you have. I have Comcast with two completely
>         different STBs, and firewire channel changing works fine for
>         me with
>         both of them.
>
>         Most STBs are either Motorola or Scientific Atlantic. The
>         Motorola ones
>         will likely work with "6200ch". I used "mythchanger" for the
>         Scientific
>         Atlanta box.
>
>         --Greg
>

>     I'm working on getting a SA3250HD from TWC working with a HD-PVR.
>     I've been using the sa3250ch channel changer. My problem is that
>     most of the channels I want are >1000 and sa3250ch doesn't handle
>     4 digit channels. Does any one know of a firewire channel changer
>     for the SA3250HD that handles 4-digit channels. I've tried getting
>     in and tinkering with the source, but I haven't had much success.
>

> Did you try sending the channel as discrete keypresses, using the -s
> option of sa3250ch?
>
> -Jerry

Looking through the source of the sa3250ch, the -s option send the
channel as one number '253'. The default is the send the channel as
three numbers '2', '5', '3'. Neither path allows for 4 digits. I've
played with the default path to encode 4 digits into the avc1394 cmd,
but it doesn't work. I admit to not lookup the avc1394 api calls.

Ken