[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu CD would not boot on a X64

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Mon Nov 5 20:34:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM, R KANNAN <rk111810 at gmail.com> wrote:

> No. My problem is the reverse of what you are describing here. I have a
> hard disk with MBR partition layout with  two Windows 7 partitions with
> data already. When I add Ubuntu (mythbuntu 12.04), creating more partitions
> for '/', '/home' etc, it goes through fine but DOES NOT UPDATE the MBR. So
> I can only boot to Windows 7.
>
> I was wondering why the installer thinks it is a GPT partition scheme
> which explains why the MBR is not updated. There does not seem to be anyway
> to control the boot loader in the installation other than where it goes to
> '(/dev/sda' in my case).
>
> In the HP bios there seems to be a boot option to select 'Legacy Boot
> Devices->ATAPI DVD/CD-ROM' in addition to 'UEFI Boot Devices-> ATAPI
> DVD/CD_ROM' , Perhaps I can choose that but unfortunately that does not
> allow me to choosing kernel options ('nomodeset' needed for my graphics
> card) while botting from the install CD.

Check out
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/10/11/dual-boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-12-04-on-a-pc-with-uefi-hardware/

I followed that guide to install a dual boot on another machine.
Basically, you write GRUB to the /boot partition instead of the MBR and add
an entry for Linux to the Windows 7 boot menu with a tool that is linked in
the article.  You can set up either Windows 7 or Linux to be the default
boot option.  Windows loads GRUB, you choose your kernel options (you
probably want those in the grub.cfg), Linux loads.  Installing to the /boot
partition is also great when you're chain loading Linux (two or more
different distributions on one machine).

It won't put GRUB on the MBR but it's a viable alternative.  You don't even
have to uninstall your current Linux if you can figure out how to alter
your GRUB configuration.  But since you've only just installed, I'd
probably do it all over again from scratch.  I like it because it doesn't
mess with the Windows 7 "magical boot process" at all.

Jerry