[mythtv-users] Automatic search recording

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 5 21:42:30 UTC 2012

On 11/05/2012 02:24 PM, Marius Bjørnstad wrote:
> On 11/05/2012 07:18 PM, Marius Bjørnstad wrote:
>> Is there some way to automatically record something that doesn't
>> currently appear in the TV listing or searches? For example, anything
>> that has "Star Trek" in the title, or the specific title of a movie. It
>> would be about equally useful to have an (email or otherwise)
>> notification when some show that matches a search appears.
>
> Sorry guys, I only looked in mythweb, I just found the option in the
> main interface. I feel really stupid now. (But also happy that there is
> such a feature :)

Definitely not a problem to ask--and your question (and answer) serve as
a reminder--or possibly even new information--for other readers on the
list.  Because of how many different approaches there are for scheduling
with MythTV, we expect users will have questions.  And in some cases,
asking may actually spur a conversation that leads to finding better
ways of accomplishing the goal.  (For example, someone who didn't ask
may have found the custom/power recording rule feature and assumed that
was the approach to use for recording all Star Trek shows (regardless of
what else is in the title), when there's a much easier approach...)

And, for those looking for the feature, it's provided by the Search
Rules under Manage Recordings|Schedule Recordings.

Mike