[mythtv-users] Sometimes mythfrontend freezes when internal player is put on pause

Andrey Zhunev a-j at a-j.ru
Tue Nov 6 04:06:49 UTC 2012

Hello Michael,

>> BUT: When mythfrontend is frozen, I see much more "Writeaudio" messages
>> (probably thousands of them) in the log before some other messages pop up.
>>

> Perhaps the audio device is blocking?  I.e. this can happen if you mess
> around with your ALSA configuration and/or specify a hardware device
> directly (as nearly all current hardware--thanks to Intel's "let's make
> an audio interface that burns CPU to make sure people buy big chips"
> AC'97 and HDA specifications--has no hardware mixer and uses software to
> do mixing).

The alsa configuration is almost default, except that some time ago I
tried to add a software preamp (to increase the level of analog
output). The preamp never worked for me on this system despite all my
attempts...

> What's your audio configuration in MythTV?

ALSA:front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0

I'm using an onboard analog (stereo) audio output.

# aplay -l
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

# aplay -L
null