[mythtv-users] Varying data formats during digital reception

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Nov 6 09:59:35 UTC 2012

On 05/11/12 23:26, JP Moitinho de Almeida wrote:

>>> I am not at home but, effectively, using the editor is not possible.
>>> Editing those files past that point also hangs the frontend.
>>>
>>> But I can work with "tail/head -c" by iteration/bisection of the file,
>>> until I just capture the zone of the relevant point.
>>>
>>> I'll post that tonight.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> ZP
>>
>> Or:  mv infile.mpg infile.mpg0
>>
>> dd bs=1M skip=35  count=40 if=infile.mpg0 of=infile.mpg
>>
>> adjust the skip number and see if it plays in Myth, then omit the count.
>>

> The link has a 10 Mb clip where the format changes. With this short version
> the frontend gives up without hanging, but the problem is clearly there.
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20086953/myth_samples/12002_20121104214000.mpg
>
> (thanks for the dd, I was missing the skip option)
>
> Regards
>
> ZP

For me vlc plays for 35 sec, mythtv as a recording (overwriting a short
recording made here) or as a video for about 30 sec until the presenter
walks on, then returns to the Watch Recordings screen.  If that's where
you see the problem it might be better to have more data after it.

There's a change in aspect ratio just after the yellow countdown, but
that doesn't seem to be a problem.  I didn't notice it initially.

You might find the vlc  'Tools > Codec info' informative.

All in MythTV 0.25.3.

John