[mythtv-users] mythfrontend on .xinitrc

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Nov 6 19:17:07 UTC 2012

On 11/6/2012 09:52, Ken Mink wrote:
> On 11/6/12 7:47 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
>> I am having some segfault with mythfrontend so I want to know if is a
>> good option to add the mythfrontend binary on the user ".xinitrc"
>> file.
> I have the mythtv user automatically logged in on tty8. Then their
> .bash_profile does a startx and the last thing in the .xinitrc is
> mythfrontend. This runs the FE without the overhead of a window manager.

You should always use a window manager. You need something to handle the
Z-axis of multiple windows, even if you're only running mythfrontend.

> I started doing it this way when I used to use 1G AppleTVs running linux
> as FE boxes and I wanted as small of memory footprint as possible.

There are plenty of lightweight window managers available, with a memory
footprint in the hundreds of kilobytes. If you're hurting for every last
megabyte of memory, you need a better computer...