[mythtv-users] mythfrontend on .xinitrc

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 7 00:26:11 UTC 2012

On 11/06/2012 04:11 PM, Ken Mink wrote:
> On 11/6/12 2:17 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>> I have the mythtv user automatically logged in on tty8. Then their
>>> .bash_profile does a startx and the last thing in the .xinitrc is
>>> mythfrontend. This runs the FE without the overhead of a window
>>> manager.
>>
>> You should always use a window manager. You need something to handle
>> the Z-axis of multiple windows, even if you're only running
>> mythfrontend.
>>

> I run my FEs as STBs. They don't have mice or keyboards and they don't
> run other apps. There are no multiple windows to have to worry about a
> Z-axis. A lot of embedded systems run a x-window apps full screen
> without a window manager. Window managers are not always necessary.
>
> Another solution would be to run the FE from .xinitrc on one virtual
> console. It you need a window manager for other apps, switch to
> another virtual console.

Just because you haven't stumbled across the problems that exist when
running on a system without a Window Manager, don't assume that there is
no need for one.  And, more importantly, please don't go around telling
other people that there's no need for one.

I may tell myself that there's no need for a safety on my .45 Magnum,
and remove it from my pistol--after all, there's no need for one if I
only ever pull the trigger when I want it to fire--but I would /never/
presume to tell other people to do the same.***

Besides, can't you spare 300kB of RAM (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/230352#230352 ) to
get a bulletproof system rather than running in a mode that is known to
have problems--that may still be laying in wait for you to find one
day.  It just seems to be sensible to run in a known-good
configuration--especially if you're running an appliance that should
Just Work.

I suppose, though, if you'd prefer to walk around an active minefield
just for the thrill of it--and save yourself 300kB, after all, we all
know just how critical 300kB is in a modern system capable of running
mythfrontend--then more power to you...  But, again, please don't tell
others to run without a WM.  And, really, please don't report any
problems with parts of the UI being obscured or with mythfrontend
locking up or...  After all, if/when you do get Z-axis or focus problems
or whatever, I really don't want to have to waste my time walking you
through tests to find out why mythfrontend locked up only to find that
you're running without a Window Manager, so all input is going to the
root window (what, a window that's not mythfrontend on your system?) and
so mythfrontend isn't being told to do anything (or whatever specific
problem you may encounter).

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Do_I_really_need_a_window_manager_for_a_frontend_only_box.3F

Mike

*** I do not have a .45 Magnum, nor would I ever modify one in such a
way.  I'm just trying to make it clear that even if someone does
something against the general wisdom professed by the community (and/or,
possibly even against common sense), he shouldn't be telling others to
do the same.  (And, really, saying, "I only use mythfrontend, so I don't
need a WM," is almost /exactly/ like saying, "I only ever pull the
trigger when I want it to fire," because just as you never know who--or
what--else might accidentally pull the trigger, you also never know what
windows (plural!) are created by mythfrontend, let alone what other
applications mythfrontend might spawn, which may have windows
themselves--now, a Window Manager would know, but...)