[mythtv-users] MythTV does not handle daylight savings properly

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 7 11:11:28 UTC 2012

On 7/11/2012 3:11 p.m., Christopher Kerr wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com <mailto:gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have this suspicion that Mike and I are outliers on this issue.
>
>     Gary
>

> I agree too - switch everything to 24 hour UTC and be done with it.
> While you're at it, realign standard opening hours for shops so I can go
> to the bank after work.

Its a good idea, realistically I can see the politicians around the
World still putting their fingers in and insisting on different Daylight
transitions at different times...  As I see it its not the zones that
are the problem, its the differing and changing bases for the
transitions....

Be grateful you do not have to program around war times. That means (as
an example) in one year daylight saving went from zero hours to one hour
to TWO hours, back to one hour and back to normal.....   So users had
better start lobbying against WW3 and the resulting time zone
difficulties that would likely arise for mythtv devs and users!

Anyone interested or not believing me can look in the TZ file for
documentation on the history of time where such things are recorded!