[mythtv-users] MythTV does not handle daylight savings properly

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Nov 7 14:01:54 UTC 2012

On 12-11-07 07:50 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> And, to further bring it back to PVRs (and our favorite, MythTV)...

Which is relevant for the people here, yes, but do PVR-watching folks
really represent the TV watching population at-large?  I have no idea
but my feeling is no, that most people still watch "live".

> I do not care if it is broadcast
> at 8pm or 5pm.

Of course you don't.  But do you represent the general audience?

> Until recently, on the left coast of the US,
> many of the cable HD broadcasts of cable networks I get were
> from the right coast feed.  Who cares when the networks
> broadcast the content?

I would guess "most" (or at least, a great deal) of the television
watching population.  They do care because it does them no good to have
the X Factor being shown while they are still at work -- during the
daytime in their part of the country.

> You should be able to watch the content
> you have paid for when you want to watch it.

Idealistically, yes.  Is the general television watching population
living idealistically?  I'd say no.

> Should you
> choose to watch "60 Minutes" at 7pm, you should be able to,
> but I see no reason I should not be able to watch it at 5:21pm
> should I choose to.

Again, good for you, and me, and the rest of us here.  But again, (I
suspect) we don't represent the television watching masses.  So IMHO, my
argument stands, and will until everyone is watching television
"on-demand" -- which will be a while still, I suspect.

Of course, television schedule simplicity was just my one example.  I am
sure there are many, many others.  The bottom line is that "day-time" is
different for different groups of people on this continent and trying to
provide any sort of consistent service of any kind requires timezones.

b.