[mythtv-users] MythTV does not handle daylight savings properly

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Thu Nov 8 07:39:24 UTC 2012

On 08.11.2012 08:28, BP wrote:
> Karl Dietz wrote:
>
>> If you are using any times in your recording rules, then you are
>> working around a broken tv guide. Please consider investing all the
>> time you are investing in discussing how great local time would be into
>> fixing your guide feed instead.
>
> Maybe true for some cases, but not in all. I use Day in my rule for
> college football games. The game can be on any of six different
> channels, the time of day always differs. I cannot use a strict title
> match as the title contains both teams. It also fails duplicate matching
> which is where my rule for matching Saturday comes in. The games are
> replayed practically every day of the week and every instance gets
> recorded without the Day in the rule.

Is this a repeat of the same coverage of the game or "a different show"
about the same game? In the former case the guide needs to be fixed
(or worked around). In the latter case I do agree (record every program
with team name xxx in it but only on Saturdays), need to look if
mythfrontend has the same options as mythweb wrt search "team name" on
Saturdays ;)

> The UTC change did impact my rule as late starting games (7PM PDT)
> actually had a Sunday start UTC. The UTC change was inconvenient for a
> few minutes, but I simply adjusted the rule. Anyone crafting rules
> containing SQL queries should be able to figure out the time
> conversions. A small price to pay for the added power. Crafting power
> rules with SQL is one of the things that makes Myth such a great tool.

Aye, its a very powerful tool, but you need to invest in maintenance
every now and then. (shuffling channels around leading to chanid/channum
callsign changes, this time the localtime->UTC change, next time maybe
the change from channel_id+starttime as PK to a proper PK, etc.)

Regards,
Karl