[mythtv-users] RS232 Control

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 07:36:57 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> On 11/8/2012 17:45, Jim Oltman wrote:
>
>> and can do telnet commands to MythTV (this is how Myth accepts remote
>> commands).
>>

> MythTV does not accept remote control commands over telnet.

yeah but the perception is that a socket accepting connections like that IS
geared to telnet and telnet does by and large seem to work the last time I
tried. (Admittedly, being aware that netcat is the RIGHT solution I use
that on the rare occasion that I want to play with this stuff, so it's a
while since I tried telnet.)

I have also seen an implementation of an onscreen remote that piped
commands to telnet, again some time ago. Wrong maybe but it did nothing to
dispel the telnet "myth".