[mythtv-users] Totally screwed by software update

Lee Maisel maisel at lobo.net
Fri Nov 9 21:23:05 UTC 2012

Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Lee Maisel <maisel at lobo.net
> <mailto:maisel at lobo.net>> wrote:
>
>     stinga wrote:
>
>         On 08/11/12 16:13, Lee Maisel wrote:
>
>                         Setting up mysql-server-5.5
>                         (5.5.28-0ubuntu0.12.04.2) ...
>                         start: Job failed to start
>                         invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start"
>                         failed.
>                         dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.5
>                         (--configure):
>                         subprocess installed post-installation script
>                         returned error exit status 1
>                         dpkg: dependency problems prevent
>                         configuration of mysql-server:
>                         mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.5; however:
>                          Package mysql-server-5.5 is not configured yet.
>                         dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
>                         dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>                         No apport report written because the error
>                         message indicates its a followup error from a
>                         previous failure.
>                         Errors were encountered while processing:
>                         mysql-server-5.5
>                         mysql-server
>                         E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error
>                         code (1)
>
>                     That helps.
>                     http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1998260&page=3
>                     <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1998260&page=3>
>
>                 Thats the same version of mysql-server that is running
>                 on my system.  Check your free space on your system
>                 drive.  If have no free space (or not enough free
>                 space), it will cause upgrades to have issues like this.
>

>             I've tried all those suggestions, but still get the same
>             error.   Apparently related to apparmor?
>             Nothing I do fixes it so far.   Ugh
>
>             Only using 5% of the filesystem, so disk space is not an
>             issue.  Thanks,  I hope we can get it figured out so I
>             don't have to completely reinstall MythBuntu.
>

>         Turn off apparmour?
>
>         Do you have any version of mysql left? If so, remove it and
>         try the install again.
>         That error comes from the post install stuff... does that mean
>         the install failed or that the post install stuff is failing?
>         I assume the post install needs to start mysql and 'do stuff'.
>
>     Thanks!
>
>     Yeah, I disabled apparmor, etc.   Been tryin this for a couple
>     days, finally just decided to bite the bullet and completely
>     reinstall mythbuntu, and reconfigure everything, Practice makes
>     perfect, right?
>     UGH.
>
>     Thanks for all the suggestions, though.
>
>     Lee

> I'm seeing this thread late, but it would have been helpful to see the
> mysql logs since it was unable to start mysql.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Mashos

Thanks Thomas!

I ended up just completely wiping and re-installing mythbuntu.
Reconfiguring everything to get back to where I was.. Of course we lost
tons of recordings, but my music and movies are separate, on the
network, so that's safe.

I did obtain the backup and restore scripts, and now have been manually
saving any customizatons to a folder on the network in case of emergency.

Thanks again!

Lee