[mythtv-users] New installation - worked for a while then no more

Stephen Robertson stephengrobertson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 22:03:23 UTC 2012

On Friday, November 9, 2012, Joseph Fry wrote:

> It looks to me like you tuners are not configured properly in
> mythtv-setup.  Unfortunately I am not going to be any help as I don't use
> sat tv.... perhaps someone else on the list can help.  In the mean time, I
> would go through mythtv-setup again and see if you see anything out of
> order... it appears that you may have entered the wrong device path for
> your tuner, but that's just a guess.
>

> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Mark Wigmore <mawigmore at gmail.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'mawigmore at gmail.com');>
> > wrote:

>> Celeron G530 2.40GHz Socket 1155 on a
>> Dual Tuner Satellite TV card and a SSD. Using the on-board graphics via an
>> HDMI cable to the TV.

>> went through building the drivers and setting everything up and eventually
>> when I clicked on Watch TV I got a picture, a good one. I was able to
>> change channels although I didn't try recording and playback. Then I was
>> trying to get the remote to work, eventually gave up on the TBS one and
>> tried mythmote on my phone. After failing to get that working also I tried
>> watching TV again and all I got when I clicked on Watch TV was 'Please
>> Wait...' flashed briefly on the screen and then it went back to the front
>> end. I went through and tried to see what I could have messed up, but still
>> nothing.

>> with any of the remote control stuff. Still can't Watch TV!

>> Media Centre Edition!
>> >

>> > First of all... MythTV requires some love... often so much so when your
>> first getting started that your spouse/girlfriend (if you have one) may get
>> a bit jealous.  Do not give up the first time you hit a hurdle, or the
>> second, or third... if you have some patience you will get over them and
>> the end result will be miles ahead of Windows MCE.
>> >
>> > The first thing your going to want/need to know is how to figure out
>> what is happening/not happening on your system by reviewing log files.
>>  Some basic logging information can be found in /var/log/mythtv... you
>> should find a mythfrontend.log and a mythbackend.log.  Review these logs to
>> see if you see any errors or other indications about what is going on.
>>  Post relevant snippets, or upload entire logs to somewhere like
>> pastebin.com and link to them in your emails.  There are ways to
>> increase verbosity of the logs if necessary, but the basic logs should
>> provide enough information to determine if it is necessary and what needs
>> to be looked at so I'd start there and let whoever helps you request more
>> detail if necessary.
>> >
>> > The people on this list really do want to help, but without more
>> information its hard to know what to tell you.  Review
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette for some helpful tips
>> on how to be successful using this mailing list.
>> >

>> Many thanks Joe, much appreciated. Glad to hear it is worth persevering
>> with! And apologies for any infringements of netiquette. I've also just
> [...]
 In the setup logs there are diseqc errors.  When setting up your capture
card in mythtv-setup there is a setting for this I have missed in the past,
think for your case it needs set to LNB.  Sorry that's a bit vague, I'm not
at the pc just now but that may be enough of a clue for something to try.

Cheers
Stephen