[mythtv-users] Autoplay subtitles?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 02:14:07 UTC 2012

On Friday 09 Nov 2012 17:59:31 Jim Stichnoth wrote:

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at gmail.com> wrote:

I have several movies in foreign languages with subtitles, either in mkv or mp4 containers, or with external srt subtitles. Is it possible to get mythtv to automatically display subtitles when they are found with a movie? I know I can turn them on from the menu and this works just fine, but it would be nice to have them automagically appear.

In the Playback OSD settings page, look for the DefaultCCMode setting:
Always display closed captioning or subtitles

If enabled, captions will be displayed when playing back recordings or watching Live TV. Closed Captioning can be turned on or off by pressing "T" during playback.ll

Note that this setting will affect recordings as well as videos.

Thanks. So there's no way to enable it just for videos? Having the closed captioning on all the time for TV just moves the problem to a different place :) I notice the video player plays forced subtitles automatically - does anybody know of a way to make an srt file into 'forced' subtitles?

Jim