[mythtv-users] TV all recordings only stereo - looking for surround...

Matthias.myth mythtv at thyroff.net
Sat Nov 10 18:57:23 UTC 2012

Hello List,

sorry for the reference, hard to put my problem into one line.

I am using mythtv happily since about 6 years, so I am not a complete
noob (even though sometimes, I feel like one. One reason is that it
generally just works, so every X months I have to start all over, kind of).

Right now, I am on a combined front/backend plus two frontends, all on
ubuntu 12.04 plus mythbuntu repos or mythbuntu, and mythtv 0.26.

On the combined front/backend, I am using a nvidia GT520 card, HDMI to
an Onkyo TX-SR507 surround receiver. After moving home this summer, I am
setting everything up again, also surround sound, and I see strange
things...

After working around some issues I still do not fully understand, now I
have the rear speakers working in the mythtv audio test.

And now I have noticed that my TV recordings all are only stereo. The
last recording I have which will show the Dolby symbol is from April
this year. I do get surround (rear speakers) from this recording (with a
scratching noise when I put my ear to the rear speaker - like digital
distortions... put let's keep this one for later).

I am receiving DVB-S and DVB-S2 TV from ASTRA satellite in Germany with
two Hauppauge DVB-S2 PCI cards. I am pretty sure that the TV channels do
transmit Dolby surround. First question maybe: Is there a setting in the
programming of the channels in myth where I can set the audio stream I
want to use, in case surround and stereo are both present? Is it
possible that this assignment got lost while updating from 0.24 to 0.25?
(That should have happened, roughly, back in april?)

Thanks in advance for any hint into the right direction!

Best regards,

Matthias