[mythtv-users] Autoplay subtitles?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 00:55:31 UTC 2012

On Saturday 10 Nov 2012 16:02:28 Jim Stichnoth wrote:

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at gmail.com> wrote:

Playback OSD Menu is the one brought up by pressing 'M'? I only get 'Enable Subtitles' or 'Text Subtitles', both one which switch on the subtitles but only for that one single playback. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

Yes, that's where you should find the Enable/Disable Forced Subtitles option.

Are you running 0.26?  There are several forced subtitle fixes/improvements that went into 0.26.

Do other players like vlc respect the forced subtitle track?  If not, maybe you created the mkv file incorrectly.  But if they do, then MythTV should be fixed.  It would help greatly if you could make a short sample available that demonstrates the problem, and open a new ticket.

Jim

Yes I'm running 0.26 from the mythbuntu repo. As for other players, I have played it in smplayer; smplayer displays the subtitles even when I choose the 'Forced Subtitles Only' option. mplayer from the command line with no options also displays them. I can't find a similar option in VLC, but it also displays the subtitles. mediainfo says the subtitle track has the Forced flag set, as does mkvinfo.

It's possible that I did the merge incorrectly, but it's only a case of merging an avi file and an srt file using the mkvmerge gui and setting the 'forced' option for the subtitle track - there isn't very much I could have done wrong :). It occurs to me that this makes the subtitle a 'plain text' subtitle, which is not what you would find on a DVD, so perhaps that is the issue? Or is there a 'preferred subtitle language' setting somewhere in mythtv, like there is in VLC, that would need to be set?

I'll open a ticket when I have time to prepare a sample.

Thanks,

Mark

General
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 694 MiB
Duration                                 : 1h 27mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 1 106 Kbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2012-11-10 23:09:08
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v5.1.0 ('And so it goes') built on Jul  3 2012 05:32:33
Writing library                          : libebml v1.2.2 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile                           : Advanced Simple at L5
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, QPel                    : No
Format settings, GMC                     : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix                  : Default (H.263)
Codec ID                                 : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / XVID
Codec ID/Hint                            : XviD
Duration                                 : 1h 27mn
Bit rate                                 : 954 Kbps
Width                                    : 624 pixels
Height                                   : 336 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 1.85:1
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.182
Stream size                              : 598 MiB (86%)
Writing library                          : XviD 1.1.2 (UTC 2006-11-01)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 3
Mode                                     : Joint stereo
Muxing mode                              : Header stripping
Codec ID                                 : A_MPEG/L3
Codec ID/Hint                            : MP3
Duration                                 : 1h 30mn
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 130 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 84.6 MiB (12%)
Writing library                          : LAME3.96a
Encoding settings                        : -m j -V 0 -q 3 -lowpass 17.5 --abr 130
Language                                 : Norwegian
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Text
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : UTF-8
Codec ID                                 : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info                            : UTF-8 Plain Text
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : Yes