[mythtv-users] Why I prefer to watch sport via "Live TV" vs. recorded

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 00:26:01 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Personally, I would have considered that the fact that the status is still
> 'recording' but the file cannot be found is prime evidence that something
> has failed. Why does the recording not fail immediately when the file is
> missing?

How would MythTV know the difference between the channel
tuned is currently not sending the any data from the specified
program/serviceid (i.e. no data) vs. the capture card has failed
silently with no indication of failure?  If the capture card is failing
to send data with no error messages than this is a driver issue
(and MythTV does not claim to handle drivers that silently fail).
Some drivers are probably better than others in detecting
capture card failures (some do seem to do a handshake that
if it stops, the driver produces errors; perhaps your driver
could be enhanced to do something similar).

I would recommend sending the error reports to the group
(or individual) supporting your card.  They may be able to
assist, or work with you to provide appropriate debugging
assistance.  I hate to suggest it, but sometimes the
Linux drivers are not as robust as those in other OSs
(and sometimes they are more robust).

<spoiler alert>
Georgia Tech won.
</spoiler alert>