[mythtv-users] Duplicate Tuners showing up in Preferred Input

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Nov 15 02:58:49 UTC 2012

On 11/14/2012 21:47, Lee Maisel wrote:
> Does that mean that I can have 12 things recording (possibly)?  All my
> content is OTA, so does this apply to me or should I disable virtual
> tuners?

When using digital television, you are not receiving a video, you are
receiving a data stream. That data stream can carry multiple channels
simultaneously, and is called a multiplex. Your tuner captures the
entire multiplex, and then filters that down to the single logical
channel it sends to MythTV. Virtual tuners in MythTV allow it to request
multiple independent logical channels from that single multiplex through
that single tuner.