[mythtv-users] New user just joined the list

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Nov 15 16:58:49 UTC 2012

> Currently, I’m absolutely willing to buy a new receiver that will work
> with the box I build.
>
> With that said, I’d like to ask if someone can throw a monetary value to
> what I would expect to spend to get the rig going (sans roof antenna).

I highly recommend using an HD Homerun or two as your tuners, for several
reasons:

1. Can locate it near the antenna for a shorter cable path to your antenna.
2. Extremely well supported by linux/mythtv.  They actually contribute code
to mythtv, they are that supportive of the product with myth.
3. Nearly hassle free (in my experience).
4. HDHomeRun app for android (ios?) makes aiming your antenna a breeze.
5. Can reset the device independent of the server.
6. Can locate the HDHR away from noisy electronics that may degrade signal.

The only reason someone may recommend against an HDHR is that their tuners,
like every tuner made, has weaknesses that may not make it ideal for some
installations.  For example my first generation white HDHR has poor
multipath rejection, so it doesn't do so well at my new house that is
surrounded by tall trees, but was unbeatable at my old house; however I
believe that the newer models have improved somewhat.