[mythtv-users] Auto-started Mythbackend = Remote Mythfrontend connection failure

Darethehair darethehair at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 14:18:58 UTC 2012

[Can I respond to the thread that I started this way, without starting a
fresh thread?  I guess I will find out.  Didn't the old 'nabble' system
allow one to read and post from a web page?]

Thanks for the comments so far, folks, but it is looking tricky.  I
whipped up my own version of a quick-and-dirty 'wait for network' script
that looks like this:

wait4net.sh
----------------
#!/bin/bash

/sbin/ifconfig | grep "192.168" > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
status=$?

counter=1
max=$1

while [ $status != 0 ]; do
     sleep 1
     /sbin/ifconfig | grep "192.168" > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
     status=$?
     echo $(date) "not yet!" "attempt: $counter"
     if [ $counter -ge $max ]; then
         echo "giving up after $counter attempts!"
         exit
     fi
     counter=$((counter+1))
done
echo $(date) "success!" "after attempt: $counter"
/sbin/ifconfig

Then, as the first executable line in '/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend', I
added a call to that script:

/usr/local/bin/wait4net.sh 120 > /tmp/wait4net.out 2> /tmp/wait4net.err

After a few attempts, I have confirmed that my script 'gives up waiting'
for a valid '192.168.x.x' entry to show up in 'ifconfig' output -- even
after 2 minutes.  Yes, it is a wireless connection that I am running my
mythbackend on, but this is plenty generous in time given.

Either I am misunderstanding something, *or* what is actually happening
is that my (wireless) network is waiting till *after* the
'mythtv-backend' scripts runs/completes to execute -- in which case it
would be pointless for me to wait in this way.  Does anyone know offhand
what order stuff happens in during bootup?

Thanks