[mythtv-users] Why I prefer to watch sport via "Live TV" vs. recorded

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 22:38:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
> If your tuner takes 45 seconds to lock on, it's broken. I can't
> imagine any real-world use case where a tuner could take more than 30
> seconds to lock on to a signal and still go on to produce a watchable
> recording.

I respectfully suggest that you need a better imagination.  What
about if your tuner is connected to a satellite dish, which has
to rotate to point to a different satellite?  If that is one of those
large dishes, that can take some time (moving large mass is
intentionally done slowly).  Some people (I would bet) still have
antenna rotors on their roof for OTA too.  When I had one of
those over a decade ago it was also slow (fringe signals about
120 degrees apart; it was a large antenna, and it too moved
slowly; less than 1 rpm if I remember correctly).

Gary