[mythtv-users] Auto-started Mythbackend = Remote Mythfrontend connection failure

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Nov 17 13:27:53 UTC 2012

On 17/11/12 03:49, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Darethehair <darethehair at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 16/11/12 03:45 PM, Jonatan Lindblad wrote:
>>
>>> Do you actually need network-manager?  Is it possible for you to
>>> configure your interface in /etc/network/interfaces and instead depend on
>>> $network in your mythtv-backend init script?
>>>
>> Yes, that probably would be another option -- but as you say it still
>> looks like adding a dependency into 'mythtv-backend' for networking (either
>> '$network' or 'network-manager') for Debian users.  At that point, either
>> having a delay (like I did), or hard-coded wireless network parms in
>> '/etc/network/interfaces' would do the trick :)
>>
>> I remain puzzled, though, that other Debian users have not encountered the
>> same challenge (?).
>>

> I think you are waiting on a wireless connection? Not many people run their
> backend on wireless.

Absolutely. My backend, which is hard-wired and stuffed in a cupboard does not
use Network-Manager. It's a server, which means I hard-coded the appropriate
values into /etc/network/interfaces (it still uses dhcp, though).

In fact I have removed Network-Manager from all my other boxes as well, because
it would randomly close the network connection from time to time (!) for no
apparent reason. (Fun times debugging that!)

Network-Manager makes sense for e.g. a laptop or tablet where there are
wireless/bluetooth/whatever connections which may come and go. It makes no
sense, and just adds complexity, when you have boxes plugged into the wall.

--

Mike Perkins