[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend Time Check Routine.

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Nov 17 19:28:20 UTC 2012

On 17/11/12 18:10, Karl Dietz wrote:
> On 17.11.2012 19:00, Raymond Boettcher wrote:
>
> Which distribution is that?
>
>> One of the bigger problems I have is the time checker in mythfrontend.
>> There is no way to make mythfrontend ignore the skew and ntpd is very
>> picky. At this point I finally setup a ntp server on my mythtv server to
>> sync the time to the frontends. One problem that happens rarely is it
>> will fail to sync. It seems that if the time is to far out of alignment
>> ntpd will ignore updating the clock.
>
> If ntp is failing on start you might try with the "-g" option. If the
> clock is so bad that it falls out of sync faster then ntp will fix it
> you've got bad hardware and should get your money back.

You could also check the battery on the motherboard.If that is going bad the
clock could stall every time you switch the box off. This causes lots of fun
next time you switch it back on... how do I know?

As someone else pointed out, your OS should be doing an ntpdate beford starting
ntpd. All my boxes run ntpd, synced to each other and a reference ntpd running
on my firewall.

--

Mike Perkins