[mythtv-users] Playback of transcoded recording 50 seconds short

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Nov 18 17:37:15 UTC 2012

On 18/11/12 17:03, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> I am transcoding shows to X264 with handbrake, updating the recorded
>>> table with the new file name ("update recorded set basename = '$file'
>>> where basename = '$basename.mpg';"), and then running "mythcommflag
>>> --rebuild  --chanid xxx --starttime xxx"
>>>
>>> All works very well, except when playing back the recordings through the
>>> frontend they stop playing about 50 seconds before the end of the
>>> recording, losing part of the last scene of the show. Playing the file
>>> through VLC is fine, the missing scene plays correctly up to the end and
>>> the closing credits play.
>>>
>>> The mythcommflag always displays these messages (without exception, on
>>> every run):
>>>
>>> 2012-11-15 12:28:31.116779 C  mythcommflag version: fixes/0.25 [v0.25.3]
>>> www.mythtv.org
>>> 2012-11-15 12:28:31.116827 C  Qt version: compile: 4.8.1, runtime: 4.8.1
>>> MythTV Commercial Flagger, building seek table for:
>>>       NCIS - Rule Fifty-One
>>> Rebuild started at Thu Nov 15 12:28:31 2012
>>> Rebuild completed at Thu Nov 15 12:28:43 2012
>>> 2012-11-15 12:28:43.446180 E  decoding error
>>>               eno: Broken pipe (32)
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Is the decoding error or the broken pipe in the mythcommflag
>>> causing the last 50 seconds to be not played? Or is something else
>>> causing it?
>>>
>>> Peter
>>
>> I don't think the decoding error/broken pipe thing is responsible.  I
>> see it (with mpeg-ps format) without your symptoms.  I wonder if your
>> file rename might be confusing something..
>>
>> I use this sequence:
>> -----------
>> ionice -c3 mythutil  --clearcutlist  --chanid "$chanid" --starttime
>> "$starttime"
>>
>> ionice -c3 mythcommflag --rebuild --file $1
>>
>> ionice -c3 mythpreviewgen --chanid "$chanid" --starttime "$starttime"
>> --------------
>> using --file in the mythcommflag line because it seemed fussy about
>> the starttime format.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> John P

> I found the cause of the problem. The recordedmarkup table has an entry
> for the duration in milliseconds. This was showing a value of 3551460
> which is about 59 minutes and 11 seconds. I updated that in the
> database, now the show plays correctly to the end. It seems handbrake
> has increased the length of the recording, but the recordedmarkup table
> still has the old length. Since the original recording was 60 minutes,
> handbrake has somehow restored the original length. Perhaps the rebuild
> should also fix the vales in the recordedmarkup table? I ran the
> following commands against my mkv files to get the durations and update
> the database. Hopefully this will get around my problem.
>
>          duration=`mediainfo '--Inform=Video;%Duration%' "$file"`
>              echo "update recordedmarkup set data = '$duration' " \
>                  "where chanid = '$chanid' and starttime = '$starttime'

It sounds as if it ought to be flagged for some dev attention; that's
what Tickets are supposed to do.

I find that if I get to the EOF during an edit, and then step back,
playback usually stops as soon as I leave the editor.  Sounds as if that
could be related.  It makes it more difficult to read the credits.

> I am not running previewgen. Will that fix it? What is the purpose of
> running previewgen? I see previews of my transcoded programs in the
> recording list anyway, without running that.
>
> Peter

I tried leaving it out and a preview was usually created, but not always
immediately.  The commflag seems to create one too, from near the start
of the recording and soon after the start of the run.  I just prefer
having the call there; when it's done, it's done.

John