[mythtv-users] What major features are planned for 0.27?

Richard peper03 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 13:31:06 UTC 2012

On 20/11/12 13:15, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-11-20 04:58 AM, Richard wrote:
>>
>> I've not looked at XBMC but in general I would say that transplanting
>> any given feature from Program X into Program Y is not going to work
>> because the underlying architectures are almost certainly going to be
>> different.
>
> Of course (as any developer would have understood) I am not talking
> about taking code directly from one project to another.  Of course I am
> only talking about taking a general development approach and most
> importantly, experience, from one project to another.
>
>> The approach may be the same but the implementation will be
>> different.
>
> Of course.  I had assumed everyone else assumed that also.

So if the assumption is that the various programs use the same approach
but the differences are in the implementation, that you agree can't be
ported 1:1.  So you're more or less back to where you started.

You can absolutely look at the differences between the various programs
to try to work out why something works with this program but not with
that program but finding that reason amongst all the other differences
is often anything but trivial.  That's the point I was trying to make.
Just because something works great in Program X doesn't mean you can
easily find why and apply that to Program Y.

>> Maybe it's because I've never used XBMC so I can't compare it, but, as
>> for you, my main concern is the ability to record TV and play those
>> recordings back.  I have very few issues with the frontend in that respect.
>
> I think the gripe that this whole thread is about is DVD playback.

But you were the one who suggested (hypothetically or not) development
of MythFrontend should perhaps stop in favour of taking the
working-really-well bits to XBMC.  I merely meant that I don't see the
point of stopping development of the frontend just because DVD playback
isn't as good as it could be.

Since we (I think) have agreed that you can't just take code from X to
Y, taking the working-really-well bits from Myth isn't going to work
either.  They would have to be ported or (more-likely) re-implemented,
which would probably mean lots of work to get them working really well
again.

Just to be clear here, I've not got a vested interest in MythFrontend.
It's definitely got some problems with DVD playback, which is why I
started looking at the code and submitting patches.  I've only been
looking at the code for about a week, so I don't claim to understand how
everything works (far from it!) but my gut feeling is that a few
judicious bugfixes could clear up a lot of problems.  I may be proved
wrong, but I'm willing to have a go.

Richard.