[mythtv-users] What major features are planned for 0.27?

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:17:19 UTC 2012

On 19 November 2012 23:10, Richard <peper03 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 19/11/12 23:12, Neil Salstrom wrote:
> I've got one or two other areas of DVD playback I want to look at as I too
> have various DVDs that don't play nicely/cleanly.
>
> I can't give any promises or estimates as tracking down the causes is quite
> time-consuming and fixing problems can be as simple as changing a couple of
> lines (not a big deal) to having to change part of the architecture
> (potentially a big deal).
>
> I'm also not a myth-dev, just an unaffiliated-dev :)  So that means I can
> only create a patch and submit it with a ticket.  It's up to one of the
> myth-devs to find the time to review, (hopefully) accept and apply it.

I'd suggest you revert:-

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/6040df7f519ece0ca7ff983cbbddd06745167433

before trying to fix anything. That commit will break playback for a
significant minority of disks where the first title is a still frame
or short menu and hence is a regression in 0.26 (and 0.25?). I think
the actual memory leak was fixed subsequently and that element of code
has nothing to do with 'guessing the main title' and everything to do
with setting up the AVCodecContext correctly.

FWIW, the dvd code is just terrible and I'd recommend tearing out
every mention of 'dvd' in libmythtv and starting from scratch. It
tries and fails to manage a three way state between the player, the
ringbuffer and the decoder, for some reason uses the position map code
and trying to manage the video buffers for still frames/menus etc for
all the combinations of decoders is just painful. The latter is not
helped by the fact that the player code was designed around video
playback and is largely unsuited to handling the different use cases
that dvd's throw at it.

regards

Mark