[mythtv-users] What major features are planned for 0.27?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:22:14 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 20 Nov 2012 10:17:10 Mark wrote:
> On 2012-11-20 9:43 AM, Mark Greenwood wrote:

> >> And, FWIW, mythfrontend can look /very/ good, too--just requires some
> >> people to actually help with theming it (rather than just saying that
> >> XBMC is better and recommending we drop mythfrontend)...
> >>
> > Yes, the MythMediaStream theme looks really good, but it does use up a shedload of RAM. IMO all the XBMC themes look great, they're easy to navigate, and seem to use far less memory - which is significant for many who run a frontend on a small PC.
> >
> > But it's not al about eye candy. I've been experimenting with XMBC as a frontend and the setup is SO much simpler - I haven't had to faff with sysctl.conf, udev rules, (for RTC timing) or even the dreaded LIRC. It all just worked (apart from the usual type of faffing with  xorg.conf). And A/V sync is spot on with all sources, including TV - which it wasn't with mythtv 0.26.
> >
> > I'm sure mythfrontend is extremely capable (I know it is, I went to the trouble of setting it up) but using XBMC gives me more beer time. I think that perhaps when people say 'XBMC is better' they might mean 'I managed to get XBMC to work so I'm using it because I gave up on mythfrontend after 3 days'.
> >
> > Mark
> Pardon the slightly off topic.
> There is no xbmc plugin for mythtv 26 is there?
> I would like to look at it if so.

No but there is a mythtv plugin for xbmc, which I think is what you want. It allows you to use xmbc as a frontend for your mythtv backend. It is, however, experimental and currently only works with the development version of xbmc and the add-on itself has to be built from source. It's all on the xbmc downloads page if you're interested. It's what I'm now using as my main frontend.

Mark