[mythtv-users] What major features are planned for 0.27?

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Tue Nov 20 18:12:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 09:36:01AM -0800, Neil Salstrom wrote:
> I agree that people may have corrupted rips of the DVD's however the
> number of physical disks that fail playing (or have glitches while
> playing) is very high.  Many of the stand alone players on the same
> system have no issue at all playing the disk flawlessly while MythTV
> shows significant issues.

Why must mythtv make its own (aparently buggy) implementation of DVD playback?
There seem to be at least three other projects with the primary focus on
video playback.  What does mythtv get out of implementing its own other than
more ways to squander its dwindling deveopment resources to get inferior
results?

It seems that adopting VLC, ffmpeg, or mplayer as the starting point and
perhaps adding on a little additional functionality (if there is something
that mythtv player provides that is better) would leverage the other projects
instead of imitating them.

> Too bad storage group compatibility has not been built in to VLC.  I'd
> happily have MythTV call VLC as the DVD / .iso player then use the
> built in video player for .mkv and related files.

This is another place where mythtv has tried to create its own fileserver
and the result is an incomplete implementaiton that is slower than competing
file servers, less flexible, and has sucked up precious development resources
as well.

Surely NFS and Samba have more resources to devote to developing more
efficient file transfer techniques than mythtv, and storage groups just gets
in the way of using non-myth tools to play and distribute media..

Now, I realize that it is quite easy to complain and not contribute.  I
apologise for doing that, but at the moment I have too many other things
going on to dig in and help.  But, it does seem that it would be a much better
use of resources to use other projects instead of trying to re-invent them,
especially if they do a job really well and have many more people working on
their task than there are in all of mythtv.

marcus hall
marcus at tuells.org