[mythtv-users] What major features are planned for 0.27?

stinga stinga+mythtv at wolf-rock.com
Tue Nov 20 19:48:31 UTC 2012

> Why must mythtv make its own (aparently buggy) implementation of DVD playback?
> There seem to be at least three other projects with the primary focus on
> video playback.  What does mythtv get out of implementing its own other than
> more ways to squander its dwindling deveopment resources to get inferior
> results?

I don't have any problem with it.
> It seems that adopting VLC, ffmpeg, or mplayer as the starting point and
> perhaps adding on a little additional functionality (if there is something
> that mythtv player provides that is better) would leverage the other projects
> instead of imitating them.

I like the ability to stop and start where I left off.

>> Too bad storage group compatibility has not been built in to VLC.  I'd
>> happily have MythTV call VLC as the DVD / .iso player then use the
>> built in video player for .mkv and related files.
>>
> Surely NFS and Samba have more resources to devote to developing more
> efficient file transfer techniques than mythtv, and storage groups just gets
> in the way of using non-myth tools to play and distribute media..

NFS and Samba can't (that I am aware off) spread data across many disks
without some other sort of function and don't work on local disks.
Storage groups are great, throw a load of disks in and tell mythtv to
use them, it spreads the data around without you having to worry about it.

--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga at wolf-rock.com         o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use>   (O)  X<   ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\