[mythtv-users] What major features are planned for 0.27?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 20:04:12 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 Nov 2012 10:17:10 Mark wrote:
> the
> stand-alone
> playback

> good

> > > Yes, the MythMediaStream theme looks really good, but it does use up a
> shedload of RAM. IMO all the XBMC themes look great, they're easy to
> navigate, and seem to use far less memory - which is significant for many
> who run a frontend on a small PC.
> > >
> > > But it's not al about eye candy. I've been experimenting with XMBC as
> a frontend and the setup is SO much simpler - I haven't had to faff with
> sysctl.conf, udev rules, (for RTC timing) or even the dreaded LIRC. It all
> just worked (apart from the usual type of faffing with  xorg.conf). And A/V
> sync is spot on with all sources, including TV - which it wasn't with
> mythtv 0.26.
> > >
> > > I'm sure mythfrontend is extremely capable (I know it is, I went to
> the trouble of setting it up) but using XBMC gives me more beer time. I
> think that perhaps when people say 'XBMC is better' they might mean 'I
> managed to get XBMC to work so I'm using it because I gave up on
> mythfrontend after 3 days'.
> > >
> > > Mark
> > Pardon the slightly off topic.
> > There is no xbmc plugin for mythtv 26 is there?
> > I would like to look at it if so.
>
> No but there is a mythtv plugin for xbmc, which I think is what you want.
> It allows you to use xmbc as a frontend for your mythtv backend. It is,
> however, experimental and currently only works with the development version
> of xbmc and the add-on itself has to be built from source. It's all on the
> xbmc downloads page if you're interested. It's what I'm now using as my
> main frontend.

There are several routes to mythtv in XBMC, including:

The PVR plugin I think you are referring to, build instructions here
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR/Backend/MythTV/BuildFromSource.
Seems to work with 0.25 backend, but needs XBMC 12 (currently beta) and to
compile the plugin. As the instructions show, this is not hard.

Mythbox, works against 0.25 if you have XBMC 12 (I think) and get the
plugin's forked version from here: https://github.com/mitchcapper/mythbox

The myth:// protocol built in to XBMC - no plugin needed, but it is pretty
basic. You specify a url like myth://user:password@backend and that's all
you need to do.

There are probably others too - some historical (ie no longer work).