[mythtv-users] How to setup Harmony remote and HP IR receiver?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 23:44:03 UTC 2012

> The receiver is a MCE-receiver meaning that you'll need to tell your
> Harmony remote that you want to control a Microsoft mediacenter PC.
> You need to select something like
> Component: "Computer/Mediacenter"
> Manufacturer: "Microsoft"
> Model: "Windows Media Center"
>
> ..in the Harmony configuration software. Afterwards you should be able
> to run the "irw" command on your frontend, and see the keypresses when
> you click on the Harmony remote.

Thanks Kenni. That makes it sound very easy and I'll try it tonight.

But don't I need to configure some lirc files as well - such as
hardware.conf, lircd.conf etc? One thing I find confusing with these USB
HID IR devices is what role lirc plays in getting them to work. Do I even
need to run the lirc daemon or do I just shut it down - but if it's not
running how does the machine manage to receive and process any of the IR
signals?

As you can see I'm very confused with this stuff. Lirc is confusing at the
best of times!