[mythtv-users] How to setup Harmony remote and HP IR receiver?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 04:37:28 UTC 2012

On 21 November 2012 10:44, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> The receiver is a MCE-receiver meaning that you'll need to tell your
>> Harmony remote that you want to control a Microsoft mediacenter PC.
>> You need to select something like
>> Component: "Computer/Mediacenter"
>> Manufacturer: "Microsoft"
>> Model: "Windows Media Center"
>>
>> ..in the Harmony configuration software. Afterwards you should be able
>> to run the "irw" command on your frontend, and see the keypresses when
>> you click on the Harmony remote.
>>

> Thanks Kenni. That makes it sound very easy and I'll try it tonight.
>
> But don't I need to configure some lirc files as well - such as
> hardware.conf, lircd.conf etc? One thing I find confusing with these USB
> HID IR devices is what role lirc plays in getting them to work. Do I even
> need to run the lirc daemon or do I just shut it down - but if it's not
> running how does the machine manage to receive and process any of the IR
> signals?
>
> As you can see I'm very confused with this stuff. Lirc is confusing at the
> best of times!

Hmmm, clearly there's a lot more to getting this working than just
programming the remote and it just working with "irw". I programmed the
remote then pointed it at the ir receiver with irw running and nothing
happened whatsoever. Also, I believe irw requires the lirc daemon to be
running which surely means lircd.conf and harwdare.cconf (ubuntu) have to
be running, doesn't it?

What am I missing here?