[mythtv-users] How to setup Harmony remote and HP IR receiver?

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 21:35:18 UTC 2012

On 22/11/2012 2:14 AM, "Mark Greenwood" <fatgerman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 Nov 2012 18:50:33 Phill Edwards wrote:
>
> > What am I missing here?
>
> You need to put your remote definition in the hardware file and each of
the codes you obtained with irw for all the key press. This will map the ir
signals to keys.

> Last you need lircrc file in .mythtv to map the keys to actions in
mythtv. You can do the same for mplayer, vlc etc.

> Im on my way home now and i can send you my files as example if you want.
>

> That would be brilliant if you could please share them. However, I should
point out that lirc is running and I have the following
/etc/lirc/hardware.conf and /etc/lirc/lircd.conf files and yet irw still
does not respond at all.

> hardware.conf:
> ---------------------
> # /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
> #
> #Chosen Remote Control
> REMOTE="Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)"
> REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev mceusb"
> REMOTE_DRIVER=""
> REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
>

> On Ubuntu, at least with my remote, I never get a /dev/lirc0 created.
Check to see if it's there. If not you can do what I always have to do
which is to set it up to point directly at the device, which in my case is:

> REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:04.1-usb-0:3-event-ir"
>
> Yours will likely be different but that might give you some pointers.

Mark, setting a simple udev rule should solve your problem. Based on your
receiver attributes you can always map it to /dev/lirc0 or what ever device
you want. In that way youll always get same device no matter on which usb
port you connect it or the order in case you have more than one usb devices
connected.

> Mark
>

> REMOTE_SOCKET=""
> REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="lircd.conf.mceusb"
> REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""
>
> #Chosen IR Transmitter
> TRANSMITTER="None"
> TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
> TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
> TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
> TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
> TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
> TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""
>
> #Enable lircd
> START_LIRCD="true"
>
> #Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
> #START_LIRCMD="false"
>
> #Try to load appropriate kernel modules
> LOAD_MODULES="true"
>
> # Default configuration files for your hardware if any
> LIRCMD_CONF=""
>
> #Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
> #If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
> #that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
> #frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
> #It will then populate all other variables without any user input
> #If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
> #to leave this set to "false"
> FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
> START_LIRCMD=""
>

> lircd.conf:
> I'm using the lircd.conf.mceusb file from
/usr/share/lirc/remotes/mceusb/. This seems to have multiple remote
definitions in it - is it OK to use it as-is with all those remotes defined
in it?