[mythtv-users] mythtv 0.26 - cannot play live TV on PVR250

myth mythtv at cain.id.au
Wed Nov 21 23:52:26 UTC 2012

Although it is only another "me too" I'll share my experience.

I am a mythbuntu user with a combined FE/BE and 2 slave FE's based on IONs.
I've been running mythtv since before it was a teenager, ( I think about
0.11) so quite a few years:)

Anyway in order to use mythbuntu distro for 0.26, first I had to get to
12.04.  So I upgraded all 3 machines to 12.04 while still running 0.25.  I
ran in this state for about two weeks so that I could check that the distro
upgrade wasn't causing me any problems.  There were some ancillary issues to
do with one of the IONs poweroff button no longer performing a shutdown but
apart from that mythtv seemed to have the same stability as prior to the
upgrade.

I then upgraded all machines to 0.26.

I have 3 DVB-T tuners (HDHOMERUN and USB stick) plus one PVR-150 connected
to a set top box.  On the higher powered combined FE/BE I didn't really have
a problem with recording or livetv for any of the tuners.  However on the
remote FEs, livetv from the PVR-150 always failed. No problems with any of
the DVB-T sources.  Because I though maybe it was a latency issue I tried a
couple of things.
1) I changed between streaming and NFS mounting the recordings directory.  I
checked the (now missing) setting in the database.  It had been changed way
back when to force streaming, so I reverted this to the current default.  I
checked the frontend logs to verify that I was either trying to stream or
pick the recording up from the NFS share. Either way the livetv from the
PVR-150 failed.
2) I also played with HD ringbuffer setting.  Again no luck.

Well one of the slave FEs is used by an older member of the family and they
have an unbreakable habit of watching livetv and to make matters worse
mostly from the PVR-150 source.  So I downgraded back to 0.25 and lost a
couple days of recordings.

Of course over the last 2-3 weeks after the downgrade to 0.25 (still with
Ubuntu 12.04) there haven't been any livetv PVR-150 related issues.

Thanks,
Andrew