[mythtv-users] Double logging?

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Thu Nov 22 05:00:34 UTC 2012

On 11/20/2012 12:07 AM, HP-mini wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 23:45 -0800, DaveD wrote:
>> I'm running Fedora 17, MythTV version v0.25.2-15-g46cab93.  I don't know
>> how to figure out what build options were used to build the package.  I did
>>
>> #> mythbackend --help
>>
>> and it says (amongst other things)
>>
>> --syslog        Set the syslog logging facility.
>>                 Set to "none" to disable, defaults to none.
>>

>> So, why is it not defaulting to "none"?
>>
>> Dave D.
>>

> Maybe because the backend is already running as it is started in
> background by upstart or other means.
>
> Find that script & the exact mechanism could be revealed.
> /etc/init.d/myth... or /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf
>
> Good upstart script & explanation on mythtv.org site..

Only one instance of mythbackend running.  No script in /etc/init.d as
f17 uses systemd.  Started by
    /usr/lib/systemd/system/mythbackend.service
which contains the following section

# Uncomment one of the following...
# Use sysloging rather than separate logging:
#ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7
# If Type=forking is set you must specify the --daemon and --pidfile
#ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --daemon --logpath /var/log/mythtv
--loglevel crit --pidfile /run/mythbackend.pid
# Default setting for Type=simple.
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --logpath /var/log/mythtv

As the ps output revealed, it is being started WITHOUT --syslog.

Anyone know of a build option that can cause this?  I've downloaded and
installed the source and will see if I can figure it out.

Dave D.