[mythtv-users] MythTV deciding to stop recording with Program "not found in PAT" error

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Nov 23 12:42:53 UTC 2012

On 23/11/12 12:02, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 23/11/12 10:37, Brett Randall wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I've been running MythTV (under Mythbuntu 12.04.1 LTS) as my media centre
>> for the last year and, other than the occasional hiccup, it's been great
>> and my family has loved it. I originally installed 0.24 but a few months
>> ago upgraded to 0.25. It remained stable after doing so.
>>
>> However, this last couple of weeks, it has lost the plot. In typical Myth
>> fashion, the more I try to fix it with software updates, firmware
>> changes,
>> etc, the worse it gets. The version I'm currently running (from a Ubuntu
>> package) is 0.25.0+fixes.20120410.1f5962a-0ubuntu1.
>>
>> The last few days, as soon as a particular program comes on ("Finley the
>> Fire Engine" - NO it is not for me ;-) ), Myth freaks out with a PAT
>> error
>> and no longer records anything until I restart the backend process
>> (normally having to use "kill -9" to stop it). The exact log entries are:

>> Nov 23 06:25:48 myth mythbackend[11231]: E DVBRead
>> dtvsignalmonitor.cpp:321
>> (HandlePAT) DTVSM(/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Program #2370 not
>> found in
>> PAT!#012Program Association Section#012 PSIP tableID(0x0) length(41)
>> extension(0x221)#012      version(16) current(1) section(0)
>> last_section(0)#012      tsid(545) programCount(8)#012  program number
>> 0 has PID 0x0010#012  program number   544 has PID 0x0102#012  program
>> number   545 has PID 0x0100#012  program number   546 has PID 0x0101#012
>> program number   547 has PID 0x0103#012  program number   548 has PID
>> 0x0106#012  program number   550 has PID 0x0104#012  program number   551
>> has PID 0x0105
>>
>> Definitely value any advice in getting around this!
>>
> This generally means that since you last scanned, the contents of the
> transport stream have changed. Either a channel which was thought to
> exist no longer does[1] or something extra has now appeared.
>
> Since the internal table of channels within the multiplex which mythtv
> builds now no longer corresponds to what it is receiving, it is telling
> you so. Of course, this also means that there may be errors trying to
> extract a stream from the multiplex, which is what you are observing.
>
> The standard answer is to rescan, which may solve your problem. I'm not
> sure where in the world you are so it may mean you need to take other
> action, such as updating your SD lineup or editing your channel data in
> mythtv-setup.
>
> [1] It /is/ possible to have part-time channels; mythtv does the right
> thing in this case.

That would be my suggestion too, but he says he's in Australia and did
all the standard delete-and-rescan things and still has the problem.
Maybe the EIT hasn't caught up yet; maybe the multiplex tables aren't
fully populated.  And don't people in Oz usually use Shephard(?) data?
But I doubt that that is the problem - it sounds like reception rather
than scheduling difficulties.

Did the scans find duplicate channels?  Perhaps you have more transports
defined than you really need.