[mythtv-users] Mythmusic Compilations

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 24 15:01:49 UTC 2012

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 22:36:00 -0000, Jack McGee <jack at greendesk.net> wrote:

> The only way I have every got this to work is to import a CD and click
> the Compilation button. Otherwise, if I import files, they are filed by
> artist, not as a compilation.
>
> What is the MP3 tag that needs to be on these for import files to see
> these are a compilation.
> I thought making Album Artist tag = Various Artist would do it, but it
> does not.

The relevant code is
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/browser/mythtv/mythplugins/mythmusic/mythmusic/metaioid3.cpp
line 311.

Myth only recognises compilations from as defined by Musicbrainz. I'm not
familiar with it myself but it appears to insert custom tag fields rather
than use the 'standard' ones, for some reason.

So your easiest option is probably to re-tag your music using Musicbrainz.
Alternatively you could investigate the Musicbrainz tagging conventions
(ie. use Musicbrainz on a test compilation and inspect the resulting tags)
& replicate that in your library. The special compilation code is
89ad4ac3-39f7-470e-963a-56509c546377 apparently.

I've modified my system to also respect the TCMP (compilation) tag that I
use in my library and may submit a patch for consideration at some point.
But I'm a novice in these matters and would be interested if anyone could
explain why Musicbrainz doesn't use this rather obvious approach.