[mythtv-users] What major features are planned for 0.27?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 24 18:35:54 UTC 2012

On 11/24/2012 12:59 PM, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Saturday 24 Nov 2012 12:13:34 Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 11/24/2012 10:57 AM, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>>> You're not going to please everybody, although I think the problem with mythtv sometimes is that it tries to do just that at the expense of common sense. A basic standard mapping of multimedia buttons to obvious VCR functions that everybody understands would ease the pain of getting the remote to work for a majority of new users, and that has to be good?
>> But, still, the /right/ approach is to have a database of specific
>> remotes (with knowledge of their available buttons) and of mappings
>> (such as LIRC mappings--or, eventually, MythTV key bindings themes) and
>> then have some configuration thing (such as MythTV Control Center, which
>> is used by Ubuntu) configure *everything* (meaning every key on the
>> remote) with a proper default for *that* remote.
> What you're suggesting is that it is better to have a flaky peice of middleware that has global configuration files, user configuration files, and hardware configuration files which then maps onto a frontend that has yet another set of configurations, than to have a default set of keys that work without any configuration at all. You have too much time on your hands :)

No, I'm suggesting it's impossible to have a default set of /remote
buttons/ that work without any configuration at all, but are still
useful to MythTV.

> (BTW Mythbutnu Control Centre is the reason my first experience with LIRC was two days of screaming frustration. It's OK when you understand how it works, but for someone who had never used LIRC before the fact it didn't even set up my hardare.conf correctly, and then the default mappings it created for my Haupauge remote contained keys my remote didn't even have, and the 3 (or was it 4) places I had to find and edit config files .... You might well be right that an abstraction layer is a good thing, but when that abstraction layer is LIRC and the config interface is Mytbuntu Control Centre I'd rather eat my remote than use it.)
>
>> That will please everybody.
>>
>> There can never be just one sane default mapping for remotes--because
>> there's no one sane default layout/number of buttons/set of buttons for
>> remotes.
> Play/Pause/FF/RW/Arrows/OK/Menu/Back/Stop/numbers is ALL you need to keep 80% of users happy. That's all my TiVo box had (when I had one) and I think they're quite popular. Show me a remote that doesn't have keys that can sensibly be mapped to that and that don't generate KEY_PLAY/KEY_PAUSE/KEY_FASTFORWARD etc by default, and I'll show you a pink rotating elephant.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC377LL/A/apple-remote (and, yes,
there are users who try to use this worthle..., er, remote with MythTV
because it's an Apple device, so it must be the pinnacle of perfection)

/me anxiously awaits his pink rotating elephant

Mike