[mythtv-users] mythtranscode --mpeg2 lossless transcode broken in .26 - ticket #11090 [another workaround]

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Nov 24 19:12:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 09:03 -0400, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 10/21/12 8:35 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> > Just tried to run the command line manually on a file and got:
> >
> > 2012-10-21 20:30:21.104650 E  Deadlock detected.  One buffer is full
> > when the other is empty!  Aborting
> > 2012-10-21 20:30:21.105993 E  Transcoding
> > /storage1/video/1665_20121022002200.mpg failed
> >
> > is there any other way to losslessy cut commercials out right now, or
> > is this close to a fix?
>

> The workaround here is to use mythtranscode from 0.25.    In my case, I
> compiled mythtv 0.25/fixes from source and then just copied the
> mythtranscode executable over the existing 0.26 one.   (after making a
> backup, of course)

For those on Debian systems: I extracted mythtranscode from the 0.25.2
deb.  It did not run because it needed various 0.25.2 libraries.  After
extracting one from the libmyth deb, it needed another, and so I
extracted that.  But it turned out it needed nearly all, so I dpkg-deb
-x the deb and copied the whole extracted /usr/lib to the real user lib.
Since the libraries, unlike mythtranscode, have the version in their
name, I don't think there was an issue overwriting newer files, or of
later installs overwriting the old ones.  Now mythtranscode works.

As noted elsewhere in this thread, future upgrades will likely overwrite
mythtranscode, requiring a recopy of the old version until the problem
is fixed.  And, when the solution arrives manual deletion of the 0.25.2
libraries will be the only way to clean them up.

Ross Boylan