[mythtv-users] MythTV deciding to stop recording with Program "not found in PAT" error

Brett Randall brett.randall at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 05:50:31 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 23/11/12 12:02, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>> On 23/11/12 10:37, Brett Randall wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I've been running MythTV (under Mythbuntu 12.04.1 LTS) as my media centre
>>> for the last year and, other than the occasional hiccup, it's been great
>>> and my family has loved it. I originally installed 0.24 but a few months
>>> ago upgraded to 0.25. It remained stable after doing so.
>>>
>>> However, this last couple of weeks, it has lost the plot. In typical Myth
>>> fashion, the more I try to fix it with software updates, firmware
>>> changes,
>>> etc, the worse it gets. The version I'm currently running (from a Ubuntu
>>> package) is 0.25.0+fixes.20120410.1f5962a-**0ubuntu1.
>>>
>>> The last few days, as soon as a particular program comes on ("Finley the
>>> Fire Engine" - NO it is not for me ;-) ), Myth freaks out with a PAT
>>> error
>>> and no longer records anything until I restart the backend process
>>> (normally having to use "kill -9" to stop it). The exact log entries are:

>>> Nov 23 06:25:48 myth mythbackend[11231]: E DVBRead
>>> dtvsignalmonitor.cpp:321
>>> (HandlePAT) DTVSM(/dev/dvb/adapter0/**frontend0): Program #2370 not
>>> found in
>>> PAT!#012Program Association Section#012 PSIP tableID(0x0) length(41)
>>> extension(0x221)#012      version(16) current(1) section(0)
>>> last_section(0)#012      tsid(545) programCount(8)#012  program number
>>> 0 has PID 0x0010#012  program number   544 has PID 0x0102#012  program
>>> number   545 has PID 0x0100#012  program number   546 has PID 0x0101#012
>>> program number   547 has PID 0x0103#012  program number   548 has PID
>>> 0x0106#012  program number   550 has PID 0x0104#012  program number   551
>>> has PID 0x0105
>>>
>>> Definitely value any advice in getting around this!
>>>
>>>  This generally means that since you last scanned, the contents of the
>> transport stream have changed. Either a channel which was thought to
>> exist no longer does[1] or something extra has now appeared.
>>
>> Since the internal table of channels within the multiplex which mythtv
>> builds now no longer corresponds to what it is receiving, it is telling
>> you so. Of course, this also means that there may be errors trying to
>> extract a stream from the multiplex, which is what you are observing.
>>
>> The standard answer is to rescan, which may solve your problem. I'm not
>> sure where in the world you are so it may mean you need to take other
>> action, such as updating your SD lineup or editing your channel data in
>> mythtv-setup.
>>
>> [1] It /is/ possible to have part-time channels; mythtv does the right
>> thing in this case.
>>

> That would be my suggestion too, but he says he's in Australia and did all
> the standard delete-and-rescan things and still has the problem. Maybe the
> EIT hasn't caught up yet; maybe the multiplex tables aren't fully
> populated.  And don't people in Oz usually use Shephard(?) data? But I
> doubt that that is the problem - it sounds like reception rather than
> scheduling difficulties.
>
> Did the scans find duplicate channels?  Perhaps you have more transports
> defined than you really need.

Thanks for your thoughts. Reception isn't the problem - I get 75% signal
strength on that channel and can watch it just fine live, without drops.
The entire program guide is there, too, even though it took about an hour
to populate after I cleared the video sources, transports, etc out.

I've managed to fix it, in a manner of speaking, for now. I deleted the
Recording Rule for "Finley the Fire Engine" (the program which the backend
would freeze on each morning with the PAT error) and the next day, the
remainder of recordings worked. Today, the recordings also worked without a
restart.

Is it possible the channel hosting this show isn't broadcasting some
imperative information in the EIT about that show, and that MythTV expects
that information and doesn't know what to do without it? Where would I look
to see? I looked in the 'program' table and nothing seemed obviously
out-of-place there.

Thanks!

Brett.